View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Seagulls Beware...

Lightbulb Estes Porta Pad E review...

Well, I broke my drought of launches today... It only took 15 years. I guess now I'm officially a BAR. Problem is, I only have freshly used engines, and no photos (save one from my cell phone)

A friend of mine who came in from Arizona on a short vacation from his school and I went out and launched today. Three went up, two returned safely, one got caught in a tree . I know exactly where it is, and it is safely protected by about 40 feet of blackberries and 20 feet of tree. So, I won't be getting it back any time soon.

I wasn't able to locate my old original Porta Pad, nor my BigFoot launcher, so we were forced to use the PPE that I recently purchased.

Pros:
The blast plate is huge, as is the footprint of the launcher, making it very stable, even in the occasional gust from a thermal current that we experienced. On one occasion, we even found the expelled plastic plug still on the plate and were able to re-use it.

The swivel can hold a 3/16" and 1/4" launch rod.

Cons:
The blast plate gets HOT from C11-X engines, I can only imagine what D's and greater would do to it. The one launch that didn't occur over the leg of the hub dented the blast plate. I doubt that it's going to be a serious problem, unless a rocket were to hang on the launch rod and keep a concentrated flame on one spot for several seconds.

Two of my launches occurred with the leg of the hub directly under the blast plate and directly under the line of fire. It visibly got damaged from the heat transferred through the thin metal of the blast plate.

I used the old swivel I found in my stuff, and it showed visible damage from the heat that the blast plate transferred to it.

The issued 1/4" 3 piece launch rod had an alignment issue with the threaded rod. Before I'd be able to use it, I'd have to seriously sand or file it to make the joints smooth enough not to possibly damage a launch lug.

The OEM swivel is designed to lock the blast plate to the hub, and will do so permanently unless it is disassembled. Transporting it with the launch plate locked down raises the height (only important when space is tight), but disassembly poses the risk of losing parts.

Recommendations:
When I launch again, I will be first finding a way of sliding the blast plate down the launch rod, and steadying it above the swivel. This should remove all chance of damage to the hub and better protect the swivel from heat damage. An alternate idea is to take a large can of juice and after drinking it, cut it open, then poke a hole in it, and unfold it so it forms an upside down "V" shape. Some bends to the cut edges should prevent cuts. This would then be slid down the launch rod, rest on the blast plate, and protect the swivel.

I'd look to see if I could locate a 1/4" diameter piano wire before using the stock part.

I got some odd scorch marks on my fin and body tube (I since was able to sand them out with some toothpaste). I don't know if this was from the size of the blast plate or what, but it would have marred my rockets finish, had it gone up finished (I have yet to try applying decals again).

I wonder if Estes could have added another hole in the swivel to accommodate the 1/8" launch rod? Seems like it could have been done.

Some issues about the appearance:
Prior to use, I did paint the hub black. The white hub just looks odd to me.

If I could, I'd do something about those really annoying looking lightning bolt legs. If I need a PPE, I'm not a child, nor do I need childish looking designs. If I could find my old launcher its legs would probably be pressed into service, and these would be kept only for spares.

Photos (post launch shots) will be posted soon, but I've got to start studying again.

BTW, my review of the Aston II launch controller is pending.

Just my $0.02
Jim

Dreaming of making the rockets I dreamed of as a kid (and then some).

"The Guide says there is an art to flying", said Ford, "or rather a knack."
"The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Launching is Optional... Landing? That Depends on Trees.