View Single Post
Old 10-03-2007, 05:25 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Starts
I also joined just to respond to this...

Do you have any ideas about where the tooling (stamping dies) might be? You could fire up production on these again. If the tooling is gone, do the plans for the tools exist? Finally, if nothing exists, I could send one to someone to reverse engineer. When I am not playing with rockets I play a worldwide sourcing manager and and have some great contacts for this type of thing.

The biggest issue as I see it would be the tooling - would need to sell quite a few to make up the cost of the tools so if it is still sitting somewhere, that would be the best. Did your dad own the tooling or did Estes or someone else? If Estes owned it, they technically still would own it even if they forgot about it.

If there is no tooling, it would mean someone would need to fund some potentially expensive tooling up front without knowing they could sell many. If you didn't mind, I would be intersted in getting some quotes (once I buy one from you) and possibly making a batch of these.

Estes came out with a completely different fin alignment guile, they changed it so trheir wouldn't be a patent infringement issue.

As you know, the Estes version was plastic, had tabs (that broke off) to hold the fin guides and usually warped.

There was only one fin kwik, the original metal one.

I have adsvocated it's return on the Estes Forum, and we did have a discussion at Estes to bring the plastic version back but upgraded. The bottom line was, they didn't feel the customer base was there to support the investment.