View Single Post
Old 12-16-2017, 08:19 PM
mechg

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgegassaway
Wow, this looks really nice!

What is the mass of the shroud (ascent stage) with nose cone? And mass of the cylindrical lower body (no legs or anything else). I do not mean the whole model, but the masses of the pieces.

I already had planned to build a Mars Lander this winter. Actually got a Semroc/eRockets kit, started on the paper shroud but it was lopsided and I was seriously thinking about having a wooden pattern made to vac-form the shroud. This seems MUCH better.

The ascent stage with nose cone and nose cone base is 81 grams. That includes an internal BT-60 sized core tube that is the parachute compartment.

The descent stage alone (without lower core or legs) is 42 grams.

These numbers are for parts printed in MARS brand white PLA (appropriate, huh?).

Hey George ! You and I met sometime back in the 90s, I believe. I was a member of the Superstition Spacemodeling Society 93 thru 98. Ed LaCroix was a member, too - probably still is.

I would love to send you an entire printed Mars Lander, or parts of it, if you would maybe try to get photos or video of it in flight, and give me feedback on how the design might be improved. I don't get out much to launches anymore, but I enjoy designing and building.

This is just for fun, mind you. I have no intention of selling these. I just like to put stuff out there that can promote the hobby if possible.

Or do you have your own printer now, and are able to print this yourself?

If you just need the outer skin, I could create .stl files to print them single-wall and eliminate the internal stuff which would reduce the weight by more than half.

Greg Glenn
Pacific, Missouri