View Single Post
Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Dazed and Confused

I still have my Centuri Saturn 1B. It's first flight was a single motor ignition and it pinwheeled. It's second flight was a C5-3 cato. I rebuilt it with a single D12 mount long before Estes released their version. IIRC, I had a D12 cato and eventually rebuilt it in the original two engine configuration before retiring it from flight.

For those that aren't familiar, both Estes and Centuri were bought by Damon and Centuri was eventually phased out. Some Centuri kits were released as Estes kits...some unchanged, some slightly modified. The 1/100 Saturn 1B was slightly modified. The two engine cluster was changed to a single 24mm mount for D12-5's, which meant the central tube was changed to a BT-50. Packaging and instructions were changed. The capsule was changed to match what was being used on the Estes Saturn V. The service module was painted silver instead of white with self adhesive silver decal that the old Centuri kit used. Estes chutes were used. There may have been another minor change or two but I don't recall right now.