View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 10:20 AM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

I am a yuuuge fan of papering fins. If I didn't have rockets to build I'd probably buy balsa sheets and paper them just for the sheer fun of it (I'm exaggerating, but only a little). Fin papering does not eliminate the need for priming or sanding, it just fills the wood grain very quickly and effectively. When your fins are papered, there's no such thing as discovering you missed a grain or two after you sand the primer. Your fins will be smooth. The paper does not absorb any excessive amount of paint; you just treat it like any other surface on the rocket. Paper gets used elsewhere in builds anyway, no difference here.

Papering also brings the bonus of adding a good amount of strength to balsa fins. You don't always need the extra strength but it can't hurt.

The biggest advantage for me is that I get foolproof results with much less work than anything else I've tried. I even papered a balsa transition, and it worked out great.

I have been successfully papering with self-stick label paper, and have documented my technique and results an endless number of times on TRF (I look forward to one day being the only person ever banned for too much fin papering). The technique is slightly different than the one Layne linked to.

There is a legitimate question about the longevity of the self-stick labels. I do everything I can to ensure that they are permanent, but only some years into the future will I be able to judge.

Here are a few examples (all from TRF), starting with the most recent:
- APRO Lander main fins
- My final current formula
- Papered transition
- More detailed post showing process

Attached are some sample pics, not all of which really show the fins that well, but whatever.

Anyway, use whatever technique works best for you. I enjoy doing it this way, and am happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  transition.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  51.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  biohazard.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  285.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dcfins.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  52.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  dc_final.jpg