Thread: Estes Range Box
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 03:28 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
I don't like the newer launch pads, they break too easily!
I think that's the nature of the beast. Pretty much every starter set I've ever seen, regardless of vendor, was chintzy / flimsy and prone to easily breaking. But, if half the stuff sold in this industry is starter sets, then they have to be able to make money off of them with a retail price in the $20 range (for MR's, higher for mid and HPR). So you end up with 26 gauge wire on the controllers, spindly legged launch pads with flimsy rod connections, and 2-piece rods which are prone to being crooked.

In essence, the business model dictates that they sell starter sets that aren't very durable. My old (1969) Electro-launch was, in hindsight, pretty flimsy (although I think that style controller was much more rugged). So it's nothing new.

Aerotech's Mantis pad has some parts on it that break very easily, too, so the mid-power stuff's really no better.

Most buyers only ever use their setup once, maybe twice. And the rest of us, I think, build our own upgraded pads and controllers. In my case, I don't need to bend over to adjust the rod angle , and the pad is heavy enough that it ain't gonna tip over in a little breeze. My contollers are all factory (starter) stuff that I've modified to make them a little more robust.

Anyway, your pad choices tend to be inexpensive and fragile, or rugged but expensive, or roll your own for a few dollars and a few man hours. Most every commercial, after-market pad I've seen has been comparatively pricey, on the order of 70 dollars and up, so you end up paying a lot to upgrade your starter set. Or you roll your own. Lots of guys have done that.

If you make your own, the things you want to look out for are to not make it too heavy or too cumbersome to lug out to the field. A nice tri-pod that folds up is great. Having something that disassembles into 17 pieces is a PITA as is anything made with black pipe

Doug

YORF member #11