Thread: Estes Range Box
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Master Modeler

I recently purchased two starter sets on ebay:

For $28 bucks I got a Big Bertha starter set. It was unused. Yes there is one. It came with 1992 catalog. A Big Bertha with a plastic nose cone and a two piece body tube. The controller and launch pad have to be assembled and are pretty crappy. I am going to give it away as a gift with an xray and a pack of T engines. The guy tossed in 6 engines on the side to complete the set. I just finished building the Bertha with a 1992 paint scheme.

For under $20 I got an Alpha starter set. Also unused. I'm glad this one slipped through. It has an Alpha complete. It is open but has the balsa cone and the fin stock that has to be cut. It contains the exact contents shown in the 1973 catalog. The bottles of paint and sanding sealer. The paint brush. A box of citation engines. All the literature. A 1973 catalog compete with the cool Estes envelope. Even the packet of glue (dried up of course) and the old battery type controller. The best part is the port a pad. The launch rod is heavy duty, solid and straight. It comes apart easy and goes back together the same way. Solid deflector, not flimsy like the newer sets. The pad sits with a higher profile than the new pads and is rock solid. This is going to be my new main pad for sure. Can't wait to build the Alpha.