View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Master Modeler

Do you think that Barry is going to give actual facts and figures on the company sales, I don't think so.

The pricing for the WM kits average around $10.00.

And you also know that the price of black powder has gone up and there are only a couple domestic manufacturers of black powder still around.

To spread the word around about model rockets should be done through the current NAR sectiions, 4H , Scouts, Civil air Patrol and the like.

The biggest problem being, there is a lack of launch fields, and, for those still available, many restrictions. I have gone through this many times, the school board says that atheletic fields are for SPORTS, and everything else is secondary. I also had councilmen state that model rockets are dangerous, that you would need the fire department standing by and the police as well. The key to this is EDUCATION. In this case, the mayor stepped in and said that wasn't so and we got to use the field.

There is an element in this country that feels that model rockets are NASA type rockets and that any launch is a laucnh out of Cape Kennedy. When they hear rocket, thay equate it to a Saturn V.

Also, we are in such a society that if you look cross eyed at someone, they want to sue you. It doesn't take much to file a suit, which, many companies could not afford. It's easier to pay off the plantiff then to defend your company (and I'm not talkig about Estes).

The only ones who make out here are trial lawyers.

It just gets tougher and tougher in todays society to go forward when you have so much going against you.

What about gas powered airplanes, many municipalities ban gas powered planes, or, flying at all. Noise , pollution, what happens if one crashed LITIGATION.

And, many site owner require a million dollar insurance policy inorder to use their property .

It certainly isn't like it use to be back in the 60's and 70's, they were great times, not only for the products/kits and sanity.

When Estes is sold, I'm sure the "observations" will continue. Let's hope that the new owner is looking out for the consumeers , time will tell.