View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Master Modeler

The numbers are staggering. I already knew how we were a strong minority when it came to sales, but I didn't realize how small. While we may seem insignificant in terms of direct volume, I think we have a large influence on model rocketry as a whole. He is not directly reaching millions by speaking to a forum, but we are his disciples, so to speak. As long as he has champions for the name and product, then he is indirectly reaching potential customers. Carl, you know how this works. You've implemented some of this yourself(with good service, product, pricing, and forum participation). It seems to work and helps the hobby grow and promotes name recognition(half the battle). Granted, many people who have never flown a rocket know who and what Estes is. The product recognition is strong, but most recognize Estes as a hobby supplier first, toy manufacturer second. This may be rapidly changing, but for now, dad or grandad goes into WM and sees the Estes name in the toy section and thinks about the old days of rocketry....days when this was still viewed as a hobby. So, they buy a RTF or starter kit trying to recapture the magic and hopefully introduce to a new generation at the same time. And, how many people are flying rockets that never frequent forums, or care to participate with NAR, or organized club? We happen to be the die hards, but how many are casual builders and flyers? There have to be LOTS.

I had someone ask a few week ago where to buy Estes kits motors for his scout troop. He had no idea to look in the toy section at WM and Toys R Us. I told him about those places, but also mentioned a hobby store that I like( one of the very few left). He went to the hobby store because he knew the selection would be greater there(and I knew the WM selection was slim a the time). Sure, I could have pointed him to the Quest website, told him about Semroc .com, Fliskits, etc. But he needed motors at that point and needed them in short order. Estes, Estes, Estes. Boils down to product recognition and placement. Barry and Co. can take most of the credit for that. As well they should, but they are expanding on what has already been established....which is us.