View Single Post
Old 11-25-2016, 09:03 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
The visitor's center at Cape Canaveral has a dumbed-down tourist front end (with the notable exception of the Rocket Garden), but once you get on the bus to the launch pads and the Saturn V display, things get a lot more serious.

My favorite part of my KSC visit was driving my own vehicle to the Air Force Space and Missile Museum and LC 5/6 and 26 at Port Canaveral and basically being allowed to to be hands on at the pads and blockhouse. I enjoyed listening to the retired employee guides too. A Delta III (that was destroyed soon after launch) was sitting on pad 17B and was easily visible when I was walking around the area. I had already done a quick visit on the "Cape Canvaveral: Then and Now Tour" bus tour but the stop was so short I knew I had to go back.

Launch Complex 34 wasn't a part of the tour when I went in 1998. I wanted to see it. I don't recall stopping at the Mercury Atlas or Gemini Titan pads either. In fact, we drove past just about everything without stopping except at the museum. I was robbed!