View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 09:56 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernomatic
I just acquired an Estes Tri Pak #0866 (Star Seeker, S.C.R.A.M. and Sting Ray). Something seemed a little amiss. I was under the impression that this kit used two piece plastic blow molded nose cones. The kit I received, un-opened, has three resin cast nose cones. I thought someone may have opened, replaced and resealed the kit, but with a bit of wiggling the pieces back and forth in the package, I got a view of the directions which showed a one piece nose cone.

Does anyone have any further information on this? Thanks
I built the 2-stage Sting Ray years ago. I just found the remaining two kits in a gallon freezer bag on my work bench. There's a Scout III in the bag with them

The two remaining BT5 nosecones - same shape as the Sting Ray (and also the Quark) - have open bottoms with mating plugs. The material feels and sounds like plastic - styrene - but has a translucent appearance - it's not as white as typical styrene nosecones. But that may simply be a pigment issue and not indicative of a different material. That said,. the translucence makes them look like resin, albeit white and not amber.

These will be perfect projects to build with my grandsons in a couple years

Doug

YORF member #11