View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 11:27 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEC
As an aside to tbzep - I have some Alpha with FireFly altimeter data on various A motors including the A10 and A3 (these using the plastic adapters JumpJet designed) and there is no real performance advantage, in that case, for the 13mm motors. Having a smaller motor mount and needing no adapter would save enough mass to make it matter some, I expect.

I've routinely seen a considerable difference in altitude with A8-3 and A8-5 in calm air. The Generic E2X kits will hit peak and start down with the A8-5, but the A8-3 is still ascending at ejection. It's easy to see, but the actual difference in altitude might be within the margin of error of an altimeter. With wind, they both will hit peak and the A8-5 will descend a long way before ejection. The A3 wouldn't have enough kick off the pad to take advantage of the 4 second delay with the Generic E2X, but might with a light bird.

At any rate, the big advantage of the 13mm mount is a 4 pack of A3-4T's is the same price as a 3 pack of A8-5's. The A8-3 is way too short a delay for any of the BT-50 sized bulk kits, so you can't take advantage of the bulk pack discount. That's another thing I've wanted Estes to do for years...bulk pack A8-5's. Bulk pack A8-4's would be even better.