View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 07:05 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Earl,

I have noticed many hard core model rocketeers selling off their 'nice' items. I wonder if this is a sign of the bad economy, people and nearing of the end of their life-cycles, or they just see greater value in the $$$ and not the kits?

I know of hard core model rocketeers who are battling various stages of cancer ... I just wonder if they are parting with the kits now and making sure they goto good homes? They could donate to their local musuems.

J

I suspect it could be any or all the possibilities mentioned. I hope it is not for any of the more negative reasons.

I guess one thing all of us in our general age group (40's through 50's) need to think about to some degree is that as more of the 'golden age' collectors pass away, there is probably not going to be quite the same market for the various collector kits that most of us treasure so highly simply because younger rocketeers just aren't going to have the same fond feelings about Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II's, Estes vintage Tridents, etc.

It will be interesting to see what the values of those kits, Enerjets, etc. will be like in 15-20 years. I think they will always have some 'elevated' value, but just how much may be a bit disappointing some years down the road.

Many of us do not collect for future monetary return, so it may all be an academic thought exercise. But, I suspect many of the current values may fall at some point in the future.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970