View Single Post
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymrmissile
I just sent Pics. of the Whole thing since again, its just 8 Pages. Will get the tubes & Cones etc. next. I know someone who has the fins---but he is Very slow, I mean he takes weeks. Danny

The Sky Bird uses a conical nose cone that slips over the body tube. That type of nose cone is still used on firework rockets today.

I make regular trips up I-75 and I befriended a roadside fireworks vendor (BTW, I got him interested in model rocketry and later gave him a starter kit). On one visit I asked about buying some rockets specifically because I wanted to get some of those nose cones and instead he gave me a whole bag of them in various sizes! He said they fall off the rockets easily and he was tired of picking them up off the floor. The smaller ones fit BT-20 well but the larger ones either slip into a BT-50 or are equal diameter, so yeah, it seems they are still made the same sizes.

If you use the smaller BT-20 size be careful not to push the cone too far on the tube, as the inside ridges will crush the tube edge and seat crooked.