View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 10:37 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

When I took those pics, they had, just a few months prior, fixed up the area and added those informational signs. I live about 30 miles from there, but haven't been back in some years now.

As I recall, the historical society president said that they had been told, many times over the years, that the missile was painted wrong. He said that the Army had spelled out the terms of its display in specific detail (paint and "US ARMY" on the side) and they had always honored those terms. Who knows how many coats of paint it has on it by now.

I'll have to look again and see if I can find his emails.

When I get a chance, I'll put up some photos of SF-88. I have about 400 photos from visits in 2010 and 2012.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcp
Those are some great photos and it's obvious that the city is proud of that display.

It is missing its tail shroud, but that exposes the aft Nike motor mounting girdle and you got some great shots of it - best I've seen. I intend to add that girdle to my NH CAD model eventually. Like some other vertical NH displays, the fins are mis-mounted by moving them upward, making the trailing edge flush with the nozzles. The elevons are bolted in place and AFAIK that makes it a training round. They've taken some license with the 'US ARMY' text, but it looks cool.

Please leave them up for a few days - I do want to pick up most of those.

I'd love to see your SF-88 pics too, you do good work and I expect they are some great pics. I'm planning to go there myself, hopefully in the next couple of months. There are some measurements missing from all the CAD drawings that I want to get.