View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 12:45 PM
rocket dinosaur

The only thing I can add about FSI, is that it got its start in mid-1966 with George Roos.
I gather that FSI was a wholly owned subsidairy of PyroChem,Inc.

The F100 was actually an E48; The D18 was more like a D5: at NARAM -13 alot of heavy scale modelers found this out the hard way. FSI sold mislabeled motors for most of their history.

check this blast from the past :

From NAR R-38 February 1997 :

"FSI F100 Now Designated F80 Flight Systems Inc. has relabeled their F100 model rocket motor as the F80. Under the definitions of a model rocket motor (cf. NFPA 1122), the average thrust must be 80 Newtons or less. Both remain certified for contest use and general use as a model rocket motor."

Where these 1997 FSI F100 more or less identical to the early 70's original FSI F100's?
whats funny about this is, in the original 1967 FSI catalog the F100 is the F18.... if you multiply 18 by 4.45 it comes to 80Ns. But instead of it being labeled as an F800 way back then, it was labeled a F100.

I gather the F100 was just a modified skyrocket motor in disguise like the earlier Coaster F's were.

whats intersting to me was that George Roos(FSI), Irv Wait(RDC) and John Rahkonen (Prodyne) ALL worked at the UTAH ICBM plant(that was built there in 1955)where the composite motors for the Minuteman I were made. Whats interesting about that is George didn't make any compsoites till the Thunderbolt, John is credited with being the person who developed the SRB solid propellent (he was a propellant chemist at Thiokol for like 30+ years). Whats funny about that was way back in the mid-50's, John was already making composite EX motors... Go Figure! and of course, Irv Wait developed the 1st composite model rocket motors, the Enerjet. All 3 of these guys knew each other while in Utah. Irv and John are both still alive and kickin!

anybody have a 68-69 FSI catalog they would be willing to to post somewhere?

Terry Dean
NAR 16158