Thread: Mig 21 RC RG
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Craftsman

Default Yes Indeed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkefj
My kits were a pretty optimum weight/size and strength, so finding an easy substitute that does not require a complete redesign, or reduction in boost/glide performance is not as simple as you might think. MPF is probably the closest thing out there, but I would not want to sell kits from it at this point.

Frank

You've pretty much run into the same set of problems I did way back 20-30 years ago, when I was trying to optimize sport gliders. Same for HPR, in a way, too.

Back in '00, when the ATF stuff was too much, and we'd lost our original HPR field, did I want to fly my venerable Astron SST HPR glider, just on smaller motors. Since it used two ply standard foamboard, I initially made a single ply version. Nope, warps too much, and too flimsy.

I then found something called 'artcor', which had in fact been already discontinued, but was a neat plastic based foamboard like deal. Much lighter than standard, and a two ply version of that flew darned well on the then-new G35 Econojets. This is the stuff I'd even made and sold some lower power kits from back near 20 years ago....

2004. Im in a Dollar Tree, and see something called 'Adams Readiboard', right there, a $1 a sheet. Hmm, its lighter yet, and glues WAY better, with all the properties of foamboard, both good and bad. This stuff r00ls for D to F based delta gliders, unless you're putting RC and stuff in them

I still have quite a bit of 3mm Depron, and that I've used a lot of, in C powered gliders that are pretty darned big for 18mm, and glide well. Ever see a Cosmos Mariner sized and looking bird boost well on a C6, and glide for like 45-60 secs? Yea, be a pity when that stuff's all gone....

Im sure something will show up in time. As far as your kitting goes, yea, weight optimization is HUGE.