View Single Post
Old 04-22-2018, 08:03 PM
Mr. Cut-by-hand

Default Finishing the wings

All four wings are on. The last two were a bit of an adventure, requiring a lot of careful sanding to get the root edges to sit flush on the body. During lamination they must have picked up a bit of a curve; I had certainly checked that the wood cores were square before lamination.

I also found I wasn't really able to do anything about the warp on the fins (also no doubt a side-effect of lamination). I don't think anyone will notice, although you can definitely see it if you sight down directly from the front or back.

I added some CWF to the spots in front and back where the skirt tapers back to join the core (that's a gap in the cardstock). Seemed to come out OK on most, although I might hit one or two spots with another round of CWF. Like many areas at this point, it's tough sanding in there. [picture 1]

Picture 2 shows the finished assembly. Note the slight waviness to the seam between the cardstock and the body on the fin nearest the viewer. Tried my best to avoid that but only so much I could do. I don't think it'll be too noticeable once everything is flat grey.

Overall I'd call the whole wing construction technique a success. Everything fit together well, and it has the profile I was looking for (which is to say, the profile of the IRIS-T wings.) We'll see how it looks when the model is painted.

Next up are the control fins, where have been another adventure (this build is full of them. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  wing_fill.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  150.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  all_wings.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  48.3 KB