View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 01:00 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

Thanks for the kind words, folks;

Work-related reasons prevented me from participating in NARAM this year, and frankly didn't afford me the time to build a Scale entry either. Disappointing was all that, but my teammates Steve and Rod were kind enough to truck the STA to Pueblo for the Classic Model event. While I'm at it, let me say congratulations to our good friend Mark Chrumka of the Uncertainty Principle team for his outstanding first place finishes in both Scale and in Classic. Well done, Mark!

Tbzep is quite right; the STA made its debut in 1980. It's a model not often cloned, I suspect, in part due to the special plastic parts and the corrugated wraps.

Wolf asks if those plastic nozzles were used elsewhere - not to my knowledge, at least not in any other Estes kit that I'm aware of.

Verna asks about the flight impulse - well, as recounted by my teammates, and as noted by Jim, our first flight was on a B6, and turned out to be significantly underpowered. The guys made a second flight on a C6, and that seemed to go much better. It's a big and draggy model, so in hindsight we should have just jumped to the C6 in the first place.

As for Jim, thanks for the RSO service, and Lori and I are hopeful we'll see you this October for CMMF VI. Don't forget the Friday night barbeque!

One note about the corrugated wraps: they took a bit of effort, but as mentioned in the initial post I found that I could craft a decent representation from a sheet of Styrene cut to size, and then applying 0.010" x 0.060" Styrene strips over top. Tamiya Quick Setting cement did the trick. The photo below shows the finished main body wrap before application. I wasn't aware of the Apogee generic corrugated wraps (thanks for that tip!), and I'll have to check those out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Main Body Wrap.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  168.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Tamiya Cement.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  45.2 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004