Thread: WI-Roc!
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 09:55 PM
fly'em 'til they don't come back

Default WI-ROC / WrE / 2018 / Finish 2

Ok So BLACK AND YELLOW is said to be the most visually recogmizable HIGH CONTRAST COMBINATION. As mentioned above the B/Y combination is one of my favorites. I've used it many times and because WI-ROC is a straight ahead simple design, I'm going with an established livery with a few variations on the theme.
The fins on the left side of WI-ROC were sprayed black (see above) and are first rough masked and then the tape is trimmed to yield 100% coverage.
I use Scotch Brand Blue Painters Tape for Delicate Surfaces #2080- readily available, thin paper stock, flexible, clean edges.
I warmed up the RUSTOLEUM 2X YELLOW with hot water, but this time using a bucket which works even better than a laundry sink. Also I like to use a spray can handle, especially for larger rockets. Rustoleum 2X Yellow incorporates a Cadmium sulfide based pigment. It is very light yellow with very high opacity and good permanence. I had no problem covering the black overspray on the body tube with a VERY LIGHT COAT of Yellow over the entire airframe. Using a handle yields a smooth stroke along the full length of the air frame, without finger fatigue from pressing the button manually for extended periods of time. It may sound wimpy but it's a handy tool that i recommend and I like the end results.
Today is Feb. 26, 2018 and it was 53 degrees F. That's as good as we can expect in WI-ROC World in WI-WINTER. What I never expected was that some how a LIVING FLY flew into the garage and landed on the wet paint! I know- what are the chances? Careful removal of the insect was successful . ...TO BE CONTINUED...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  lo fly.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  434.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lo 1st yelo.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  503.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lo spray handl.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  602.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  lo bucket.jpg