View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 11:21 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-o-one
...what do you guys use as a "cutting board" for cutting your fins and such? A cutting board? Metal sheet? I hate to admit what I have been using, the back of a clipboard. I had two in my room, so that was what I used so I wouldn't ruin my work surface. Thing with the clipboard is that each cut leaves a raised scar so you can't lay new balsa on it without messing it up. I am out of useable space on the clipboards, so I now need to actually find something intelligent to use. Lay it on me, and please, be kind.

I use food preparation cutting sheets, the clear plastic kind you can pick up at Wally World about 3 for $5, or thereabouts...

They're disposable and cheap, last for a long time, and you can flip 'em over if one side gets too chopped up and grungy. When they're 'pristine', with no gouges, even CA glue won't stick that good. I keep one or two at my workbench and one at my computer desk, for when I just gotta "work" while I'm "working"...

As for the scratches and dings you get from the board into the balsa surface, the first good coat of FNF usually takes care of filling the voids. You could probably use a piece of 220-grit paper to knock down the raised edges and some 400-grit to polish the surface back down. I've never seen gouges that severe, though. And if I did, that would be time to go get a new pack of sheets...

Craig McGraw