View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
What is particularly interesting to me is that while Estes model rocket sales have grown substantially over the last 30 years, participation in the NAR hasn't. Many here have equated the tiny size and stagnant growth of the NAR with a failure to grow the hobby. Barry's answers suggest that that isn't the case and it's certainly changed my perception of where the hobby stands vis a vis the NAR. Participation in launching model rockets (from Estes alone) has apparently grown a lot since the 1970's. And the proliferation of small hobby market model rocket manufacturers has grown as well. But the NAR hasn't grown commensurately. Why? I suspect that has less to do with Estes lack of participation with the NAR than it does with what the NAR offers the public.

I personally like what the NAR offers, and I participate. But maybe it's time I let go of the notion that how the NAR is doing is somehow a reflection of how the hobby as a whole is doing.

The NAR does or seems to discourage "lone ranger rocketry". Definitely and for sure in the HPR arena. Estes is all about lone ranger rocketry.

Estes is willing to accept the reality that most users are new and short term. NAR fixates on products and services for long timers, mostly "armchair rocketeers".

I have suggested several initiatives over the years to put a dent in that and all of them were DOA. Not one was even tried.

Jerry