View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking Still "Chuckling" after all these years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I would love to know the story of how Chuckles became a sponsor. I don't remember them ever sponsoring anything else. I always thought it was pure Evel to have such an unusual sponsor since he was such an unusual guy. And could there have been anything was less likely to inspire "chuckles" than a guy with an insane plan to launch himself over a canyon in a home-built rocket motorcycle? Kinda like having the Chuckles logo on the wall at the Colosseum during the gladiator contests.
Steve,

Scott Truax said the story he heard was that a representative from Chuckles showed up with a suitcase full of $25,000 in cash shortly before the jump. Scott says he heard that lots of Evel's deals were completed "under the table" like that.

"Less likely to inspire 'chuckles?'" Oh, believe me, there were *plenty* of people laughing at the prospect.

Some high school kids even painted a red and while bullseye on the north side of the canyon for Knievel to "hit."

More than 37 years later, people are *still* laughing.
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014