View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokitflite
He had them transferred to VHS a while back and they just weren't as much fun. When he was using the projector he did slow motion most of the time and would occasionally pause it to show a particular image. You can't do that with super 8 to VHS transfers due to the fact that its almost always blurry when slowed or paused because you stop the images between frames.

I had a digital VCR (a Toshiba that I bought on closeout at Sears I think) back in the late 80's that would freeze, variable slo-mo, even frame by frame, and fast forward and rewind, without the massive amount of fuzziness and "noise bars" at the top or bottom of the screen like a typical VHS would have... I used it to make some slo-mo videos of liftoff that I recorded... and to dub in the soundtrack from "Man's Greatest Adventure", narrarated by Orson Welles...

If the original film still exists, the "cleanest" transfer would be from 8mm direct to DVD... most large photography shops used to offer this service, or could ship it out to subcontractors who would... nowdays one would probably have to find someone online to do it.

If the original film isn't available, then a VHS to DVD transfer is still possible. DVD would allow for "slo mo" and still frames to be gathered without the distortion and noise present in the VHS tape format.

Later! OL JR