View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 05:33 PM
Master Modeler

Another problem that MPC had:

Inconsistent laws on model rocket motors.

Back in 69 - 72, there were still lots of states that made getting motors difficult or impossible. Like, my New Jersey cousin having to go to Trenton to get a license from the Bureau of Mines.

So, kits that made their way into K-Mart ended up getting returned.

I was a steady AVI customer in the mid 70s. Bought lots of stuff, won a gift certificate, bought even more. As I recall, my last order (for around $15) was never filled. This was in 1978 or 1979.

I can testify as to the vaporware. Bergenske kept announcing the "metrix" system, which would let you create nose cones, transitions, and boat tails from a set of nested tubes, 1mm apart. The set would include a plug for the nose cone tip, and filler material.

There was also an announced series of UFO / alien space ship models.

What you could get were really cheap MPC and MRI kits. Some of the latter were original stock, others re-releases with photocopied instruction sheets. At least one AVI kit was actually produced, the "Lineas Gigantus," which was about 5' of T-20 tube with a Pioneer style fin can on one end, and a plastic transition and a section of T-25 tube and a cone on the other. I think I flew mine a few times.

I remember getting AVI motors in plastic bags and in MPC blister packs. The "Gold Line" motors, which included tiny 1/8 A and 1/4 A motors, and 35mm E and F motors, came in plastic bags.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM