View Single Post
Old 03-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Winter Project - Scratch built triple cluster

Hi,

Thought I'd share the scratch build project I've been up to over the winter. The project started with an Ebay purchase of a Thoy Snipe kit that was missing the body tubes and nose cone, but had the motor mounts for a 24mm triple cluster, centering rings, plywood fins, parachute etc.

After getting the heavy wall 2.6" body tube and nose cone I decided to tweak the design.
  • 24mm triple canted motor mount following the flis kits design and a 15 degree angle
  • changed the fin design and went bigger
  • Ejection baffle
  • Dual deploy with AV bay from Mad Cow Rocketry
  • Stratologger CF altimeter
  • 9/16 tubular nylon shock cord
  • Epoxy for all attachments
  • through the wall fin mounting
  • rail buttons with stand-offs from Doghouse rocketry
  • Fin fillets were made using a mix of Great Planes 30 min epoxy, West System 403 microfibers and FGCI Phenolic microballons.
  • primed with Rustoleum 2x gray and finished with metallic blue and silver

I also built a standard bulkhead which is attached to the payload section to allow the rocket to be flow without the AV bay for lower altitude flights. Seems better to have the option of proving its flight worthiness first without the complexity of the dual deploy. Total weight with motors came out to around 850G without the AV bay and 1050g with AV bay. Open Rocket predicts somewhere between 1500 and 2500ft depending upon motor configuration.

Can't wait to bring it to Bong this spring. Plan is to fly it on a combination of 3x F44-8w and then 3x F32J-8T composites. Will of course wait to fly after completion of L1 certification as the combined thrust is over 100N.

I attached a few pics.

Cheers!!

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyNeedleBuild3.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  36.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyNeedleBuild20.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  34.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  SkyNeedleBuild1.jpg