View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 09:47 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default More FSI tidbits

I heard somewhere that FSI actually made motors for Quest. Perhaps FSI made Quest motors for awhile, then sold them the machines. I understand Quest made their motors for a period of time, and now their motors come from Germany..
In the two to three years that I bought stuff from FSI, the only difference in their annual catalogs was the date on the cover.
One of their kits was a scale model fo the Sandia Sandhawk. I converted it to D motors and it was an impressive flyer. The fins, though, were one-quarter-inch balsa, which seemed out of scale!
Their tube-fin rockets, the Viking series, were pretty cool.
I hope Semroc resurrects some FSI kits or expands their parts collection to make it easier to clone FSI kits.
For the F7 fans - how about Apogee's long-burning composite F motors? It would seem to be much safer than a mammoth black powder motor.
The FSI catalogs also had a page that said the "Thunderbolts" were coming and had some data for a G-level motors. There was a rubber-stamped "not available" message on that page of the catalog. I wonder if the "Thunderbolts" were composite motors or an even bigger black powder motor?
timmwood