View Single Post
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 AM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperdue
Carl,

Thanks for your summary. I've also been mulling the numbers around and have generated similar questions. The answers are staggering.

On a related front...

Q. Who is buying the existing Estes rockets?

Q. Where are they flying them?

Q. What can we do to find these people and get them more involved with the hobby?

Q. How do we find the educators using rockets and get them involved (or get involved with what they are doing)?

I can't answer those questions but it'd be very good for the hobby if someone can figure it all out.

Mario

Mario,

I'm in an area where the only available flying field is a schoolyard, and my only opportunities to fly are on the weekends (during the school year), and in the summer break periods. My observation about who buys rocketry items is limited to what I see in WM, and the occasional visits I make to the local Hobbytown USA, Michaels and Hobby Lobby stores. The engines that disappear first (WM sales) are always the A and B classes, with the C class consistently remaining in large numbers. The variety of engines at the other places is good, but it is offset by the very high prices ($8 something for a pack of A and B engines!) being charged for them. The volume of kits on the pegs at the HT, HL, and M stores varies from "dwindling" to "good", but again, offset by the prices. When I shop for kits, it's usually when the coupons are available for big discounts.

You'd think the internet would be a big help in spreading the message about rocketry, but it does seem to be grouped into narrow niches. It's like a specialty hobby within a specialty hobby.

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635