View Single Post
Old 11-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Totally worth it if you are thinking long and can aford. I remember when Centuri was selling those kits for around $8.00 as a close out special ... like I said, I know of one manufacture who is seriously thinking of re-releasing the kit, and we do have the large scale offering from Estes ... maybe.

When I bought the first year offering of the kit from Romie Lucas, that was $500.00. It features a white box with applied sticker graphics on the side. You also have to widdle down the fin fairings which are wood; the later kits have injection modled plastic for fin fairings. IMHO the plastic fairings are far better and show greater detail. The original centering rings are plywood while the newer kit has those fibre rings. As the Super Scale kits go, the LJII is by far the best. Again, IMHO.

$650 yet high, isn't ridiculous. $2,000.00 for an 80's Mercury Redstone IS ridiculous!

Jonathan

I can agree.

I have always been a proponent of allowing folks to freely spend their own money on legal items as THEY themselves best see fit. If one has the funds (and are not allowing their own kids or family to 'do without'), then they should be allowed -- without critisism -- to spend it. Period.

If I had not had the LJ's that I have, I might have been tempted to get this one. But I've got mine and that is enough. Let someone else allow their dreams to come true. I ALWAYS wanted that kit when I was a kid and could in NO way afford it then. And yes, I recall in early '77 when Centuri closed it out, they sold the remaining stock at the original '68 issue price of $12.95 I think it was. Pause....... Yep, just checked my copy of Vol. 3, No.1 of Centuri's American Rocketeer, which was issued in the spring of '68, and it lists the upcoming Little Joe II for $12.95 with a release date of June 15, 1968.

Interesting comment on the 'balsa' fin fairings. I always thought those were vacu-formed pieces from the get-go. The above mentioned American Rocketeer also mentions the kit would feature plastic fin fairings. Do you have a copy of the instructions from that kit? I'd LOVE to see some photos of the kit box and such. I've only seen the 'full color' box version myself, though I had understood an earlier, more 'plain' version of the box was issued early on.

So, if you want it and got the dough.....go for it. There would be those in many foreign countries who would consider us nuts for spending even $150,000 on a house! Much less the $250K or so that is about 'average' for a new house in this country.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970