View Single Post
Old 03-08-2008, 08:35 PM
Strange Rocketeer

Default Golden Scouts

Here are the two Golden Scouts I finished today. One had a defect in the balsa nose, so I had to sand its tip round. When gluing on the Tyvek strip over the engine catchhook, it helps to cut a slit in the Tyvek forward of the end of the catchhook. This makes it much easier to get the Tyvek to lay flat there. I used yellow wood glue for assembly (and a layer on the base of the nose to protect from ejection burning), and 5-minute epoxy for the fillets.

The balsa parts were finished with thin CA for strength, then two coats of KILZ spray filler with 220-grit sanding between and after, then Krylon 1315 white primer with fine sanding after, and then Krylon 1701 Bright Gold in several light coats. After applying the decals, I used Krylon 1301 Crystal Clear Gloss spray. The clear spray does dull the shininess of the gold somewhat, but the finish is much more durable with it.

Be sure to bend the engine catchhook inward to help it retain the engine better at ejection. This was necessary when I flew my original Scout back in the 70s to prevent the engine from ejecting.

--Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  GoldenScouts.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  83.1 KB