View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Question What happened to AmRocs? Anybody know?

Way back in the 60's, I got my hands on an AmRocs catalog. Soon after I ordered the Omega 123, a three stage rocket, unlike other three stage rockets of that era, because the fins of all the stages lined up. I didn't know the secret to line up and glue the fins perfectly in line but I came close enough.

Years later I became a BAR and my rebirth had me scratch build models inspired by television shows of my youth, Space Ranger, and one that I missed, Fireball XL-5. After building and launching my version of the Orbit Jet, and the afore mentioned Firball, I chose a less challenging model, the Omega 123. I still have trouble lining up the fins and gluing them one behind the other. I have built 3 versions of Omega, none of which were exactly like the original of my youth. And none have yet perfectly aligned fins.

The original Omega123 was a BT-20 about 18" tall. My 2014 version was about the same hgt. but fatter using a BT-50, because my older fatter fingers can't seem to manage parachutes in BT-20 tubes. The original had a hardwood nose cone, mine was balsa, that I turned myself. I immediately followed that with a near exact copy of that one but with a plastic nose one I borrowed from a Quest Viper. I lost it on its maiden flight.

It was about that time I discovered E motors. I made another replica of my 2014 model but made to accommodate E motors. The only change was lengthening the booster tube and expanding the fin width and length. In the process of building this E version, I cannibalized the third stage fins, as it had been lost for several days, and it had rained, and removing the engine proved much to stressful on the body tube.

The reason I tell you all this is because I really like that particular model and want to know what became of AmRocs? I had an accelerometer from them that I think I launched once as a kid with inconclusive results. I just finished a replica of that too, waiting to fly it. My iPhone is far superior an instrument, but: a), it won't fit in the Omega b), though it is more informative, I can't bring myself to risking it while my launch and successful recovery ratio is at about 50-50.

So, whatever became of AmRocs?