View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
The D12 is a detuned D13. The E9 is a detuned E15. The E30 and the D20 I saw fly in person were never released but a bunch of prototypes were made. The detuning of motors are done because BP motors continue to cure after shipping and performance varies quite a bit with temperature and humidity. The D13 had a fairly high failure rate in the west but not so much in the south and east.

I am not subject to Estes NDA. The Pro series ended up being released as clustered 24mm rockets.

The F62 internal geometry was an exact copy of the U. S. Rockets F40/F80. As such, one grain is an E, two an F, and three a shippable G. It appears Estes tried to get CPSC to accept G's, and when not, they were not released even though DOT and NAR certified already.

Jerry

Sorry Jerry, as the primary designer of the F62 I can tell you most assuradly I did not copy any U.S. Rockets motors, or any one else's for that matter. The internal ballistics of the 'Smokey Sam' propellant dicatated the internal grain geometry just as all propellants do.