View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Entropy Demonstrator

Default ECOF Events - Kelly Engineering Challenge 2015

This year's Kelly Challenge will be the final. For that, she is planning an encore of all previous events, sort of a "Greatest Hits". Anyone can compete in any or ALL individual events. There will be awards in each of the six divisions with a grand prize awarded to the one who scores the highest total using any combination of events. I am rolling over last year's prize package to make the purse sufficient for the scale of this challenge. A special certificate is being designed for this event. All pre-registered participants get one. Complete your set.

Rules to be collated and released soon, but basically...

1. You can enter each or all of the six events. There will be awards (trophies and prizes) in each division. There will also be a "Grand Master" award for the highest individual flyer's total score from all events combined. i.e. if you enter several divisions, the scores from each will add up to become your combined score. Note - one does not have to win any individual event to become the Grand Master... i.e. an individual with 3 average scores of 40 each will beat someone who won one event with a score of 100.
added - 1st and 2nd runner-ups to the Grand Master also receive trophies.

2. The events will be -

(Original Year) Event (possible points)

- (ECOF 2009) Crayons (40)
- (ECOF 2010) Strap-on Boosters (100)
- (ECOF 2011) Legged Landers (100)
- (ECOF 2012) Upscale (Downscale) Anything Can Fly (60)
- (ECOF 2013) Secret Payload (50)
- (ECOF 2014) Sample Return Mission (Re-launchable rockets) (124)

maximum possible points (474)
NOTE - You can enter separate rockets in each event, but there will be NO cross-referenced entries. i.e. you cannot enter, for example, a crayon rocket with strap-on boosters as BOTH "a crayon" AND "a strap-on booster rocket". (Sorry, Jay) This is to keep scoring manageable, i.e. 1 judging sheet per flight, with event category declared in advance of flight.

3. To level the playing field...

(a) Max scores in each event will be weighted depending on the degree of difficulty of the event. i.e. Legged landers are more involved than Crayons, so will carry a higher possible score.

(b) Previous winners in each event will be further point handicapped. This is intended to reward and thereby encourage new flyers to participate.

Hope to see you all out on the field in 2015. Cheers.

Sather and Kelly

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"