View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ranger
Looks like the Discontinued kit is the original 18mm powered version with balsa fins.
The other, cheaper My Boid kit seems to be an updated version that is 13mm powered with fiber fins that 'lock' in to the pre cut fin slots, making it an ever better beginners kit.
I think this honors the original intent of Carl who I think provided a lot of these kits to youth groups...now cheaper, easier to assemble, less likely to be lost by flying on 13mm, still with different fin shapes so more fun for beginners, etc

That's similar to something I've advocated for with Estes, BMS, and later SEMROC for the last 20 years. I wanted 13mm power, not for altitude, but because an A3-4T is cheaper and the delay is better for a BT-50 bulk rocket. Due to smaller components and smaller engine casing and better delay, the A3 or A10 will fly higher than an A8-3.

The big difference would be the fin shape. The best fin shape for schools, youth groups would be something that has a slightly negative sweep on the trailing edge to prevent fin breakage on landing. The landing forces would be absorbed by the motor and transmitted to the whole motor mount system instead of one easily broken swept fin. My Boid, while cheap and easy to assemble, will suffer fin damage early and often. This means a classic motor hook is needed, not the extended finger hooks. Or just friction fit.