View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up From somebody who's lived to tell the tale...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMcGraw
I can attest to this one fact: It takes more time and more discipline to create ONE set of instructions for a kit than it does to create FIFTY or ONE HUNDRED designs. Ask CenturiGuy about his experience with the instructions for the SEMROC release "Tau Zero", and he'll give you a play-by-play of the procedure...
If I were going to do it all over again (not that I'm officially planning to ), I wouldn't start completely from scratch. I'd look at a bunch of different Semroc instruction booklets and borrow illustrations, writing, etc., that Carl's already done, and incorporate those.

Quote:
Best advice I can offer is to throw out as many designs as you can create (BARCLONE is a great place to do this) and see what design elements the 'experts' here like. Keep a journal, or at least a good copy of your designs, for reference.
I agree wholeheartedly with Craig. Post your designs here, get some good feedback, and figure out what works. MAKE SURE YOUR ROCKET'S *STABLE!* Also make sure there's plenty of room for an adequate recovery system so your design (no matter *how* cool-looking it is!) doesn't smash itself to pieces when it hits the ground.

Quote:
Also, since you mentioned a SEMROC design as being an inspiration for your model, why not ask the designer himself about his experiences in manufacturing and selling? Carl is a most welcome member of Ye Olde, and if anyone here has insight on the ups and downs of making a business out of a hobby, Carl is at the top of the list. And he doesn't bite, either!
Carl McLawhorn (Carl@Semroc) is a great guy, and he's more than happy to answer questions.

(reminiscing) Why just last night, I was asking him about an EM-115-175-3F engine mount...

You've come to the right place. We're here to help.

"It is ours to serve."

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014