Thread: how to find
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 08:32 PM
CG to close to CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
This helps legitimize the BT-63 and the 3x18mm mount of the SatV, in my mind. That is, the 3x18, shrouded with the BT-60 tube, always struck me as being over-engineered, not to mention incompatible with pretty much any other rocket.

But, since the BT-63 already had another function, it makes the 3x18 design make a bit more sense.

Still, if anyone wanted to build a 3x18 mount to use in multiple rockets, forgoing the BT-60 shroud is a must. That way, the mount will install in any BT-60, a far more common tube.

Doug

I was always under the impression, this was done, to get the Saturn V to market, as Estes did not have the D13-3 ready yet, but it was planned. I even thought the earliest Saturn V kits did not include the "D engine Adapter". But this is all just from memory, so I have no proof, or first hand knowledge. By the time I got my original K-36, the D13's were available, but even now I still like to fly it on 3 C6-3's occasionally. First available in the 1969 catalog.
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/no...a/69est024.html, only lists C6-3 for engines.