View Single Post
Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 PM
BAR

I don't know that you can realistically get accurate information about the actual paint finish from photographs as definitive proof one way or the other. Remember these items were constructed and finished one way at the factory, and then sent for static testing in many cases, some then stored for years, then erected and flown. Saturn I's and IB's were also stacked "on the pad" versus the Saturn IB's that flew to Skylab that were assembled in the VAB on the "milkstool" and transported to the pad; so they spent a LOT longer on the pad and thus would have experienced more weathering. While photographs are a good indication of the patterns and markings used, particularly on an individual mission or vehicle, I'm not convinced you can get any truly accurate indication as to what the factory finish was as it rolled off the assembly line. Storage and testing would have taken its toll on the paint, as well as "scale effects" from the full size vehicle, lighting effects, and various other limitations of photography.

I think the only way to *TRULY* know would be to either consult someone or their historical records from the assembly facilities that applied the finishes directly, or to scour the historical archives for NASA documentation as to the particular finishes applied-- they should have some sort of number(s) denoting the finish, that would probably have to be cross-referenced to the relevant paint manufacturer (if they're still in business) to determine the actual finish and formulation of the paint. NASA Technical Resources Server might actually have the information if you can find it.

Another good source would be to email John Pursley at accur8.com and ask him... he consulted and participated in the restorations of the Saturn V's in Houston and Huntsville because he had more information at his fingertips and more readily available to the contractors doing the work than NASA did... So they hired him to assist in the job. I'm sure he'd know exactly what was applied paintwise, if ANYBODY knows...

Best of luck...

OL J R