View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 12:33 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Smile

Yes, I did fly several of the Coaster-style rockets, starting in the late summer of 1963, mostly using the 30 lb. and 40 lb. thrust engines. At age 14 then, I thought the flights were quite impressive, but expensive ($ 1.30 to 1.60 for each motor !).

The first one I flew was a scratch-build of Coaster's "Mercury" model, using plans that I had previously ordered from Coaster. Other models I built were of similar size and of my own design. In all, I probably had around 10 launches of the various larger models, one of which as I remember was destroyed on the launch pad (nozzle failure, I believe). My flying of the larger model rockets essentially ended when I went off to college.

I am, however, currently working on a scratch-built F35 jet model powered with an electric ducted fan and to be radio controlled - my version of "living the dream" while retired.

Believe it or not, I am thinking of putting my old, unused Coaster motors up for auction at some point, this is if I can find them somewhere in my garage (several moves since 1963) !