View Single Post
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamjammer53150
That some how it is more valuable un opened than opened , provided all he parts were there , as a kit it has no more value un opened as opend . If your intent was to build it . So she did a builder a favor by opening it and that way you can see the cndition f all the parts

I purchase kits for both building and collecting. I'm just finishing up a vintage Long Tom that was pristine in the package when I opened it, and in the near-lineup, I've got a Centuri Vector V that I just opened to build and a Centuri Taurus I just opened to build. And there sits two Centuri 1/45th Little Joe II's, one of which will be built. In the pile (when I can get to them, which will be a long time from now...) are about 25 other examples.

But, as Der Red Max pointed out (well, two items he pointed out), the primary point of my post was missed to some degree.

I really was commenting on the, shall I say 'ignorance', of the eBay lister (assuming their comments in their listing are true, which Der Red Max, probably correctly, points out should be suspect in their validity) that the kit was "only opened to make photos". My point was, "Who, as a SELLER, would be so stupid as to basically lop off over 50% of the value of the item, just to make photos of it?". As Der Red Max said, probably nobody is that stupid; the kit was, more than likely, already opened when the eBayer found it/listed it, and that is just a comment by them to make the item seem more collectible.

THAT was the major point of my post.

Now, as I stated above, I buy kits to build, either opened or sealed kits, and kits to collect. Basically, I buy one copy to build, preferably -- as several have stated -- 'opened' kits which are generally cheaper, and a sealed version (if I can find one) to keep for the future or as a replacement should I loose or crash my built version.

However, throwing 'cost' considerations to the wind for a moment (and I admit that's a big one to toss out), there are some considerations about 'collectors' in general of which you make some pretty negative assumptions, without really knowing what their true motives might be.

In many cases, I DO prefer to buy un-opened kits, even if I'm gonna build them, for several reasons: (1) There is a better assurance (though not a guarantee) that all the parts will be there for the build when it comes time to do that. With an opened kit (even ones that have been offered as "all parts there and accounted for"), you still sometimes get stuff that is not complete; (2) Sometimes I like to buy sealed vintage kits to give as gifts to friends for Christmas, birthdays, etc. As stated in (1) above, I have a better feeling about giving someone a 'new, unopened' vintage kit, as compared to one that might be opened and/or damaged (and may be missing parts).

And (3), in general, when you go to the store to buy something (anything...) and you have a choice between an 'open' package on the shelf and one that is in perfect condition and sealed, which one are you typically gonna get? Yes, I know sometimes stores have sales on 'opened' merchandise and that is fine. But in general, we 'typically' like to plunk down our cash on 'un-opened, undamaged' merchandise when we can.

Finally, the comment about 'buying then reselling for a profit'. Well, that's the entire basis of capitalism, and regardless of what the current adminstration (that's Presidental adminstration, as in Barack "I'm A Lost Little Boy" Obama) states or believes, capitalism -- NOT big government -- is what has established this nation as THE source of opportunity and freedom that it is. And that is what has offered a much better life for many, many people for over two centuries. Government NEVER has and NEVER will be the creator of wealth....only the taker thereof.

So, if you're gonna kick those who are in business to make a profit, then you have a good chance of getting a job within said Administration, but you are probably also kicking the very concept that keeps food on your table and a roof over your head (regardless of what 'they' say about 'evil' big business and their obscene profits).

Of course, you are free to believe, ridicule, hate, or support whatever you like. That's another great freedom about this country, and is one I'm glad we can exercise (for the most part) in this forum.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970