View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
No doubt, the downsized, Pinto-based 74 'Stangs were aesthetically displeasing (not to mention quite boring performance-wise), but I thought the last of the big ones, circa 72-73, were getting kinda unappealing, too. The fastback rear windows were nearly horizontal, the cars were nearly as big as the Torinos, and the power-plants were pretty lame by 73. They needed to do a clean sheet start-over. Alas, the 74 was a pretty poor result

Doug

My favorite Stangs were the 1969's with the extra lights in the grill. The surrounding years were cool too, but the 1969 Mach 1, with the hood and side scoops were my favorite. I loved the Cobra Jet and Boss too....heck, a plain Stang would do.

I have a neighbor that dirt tracks Fords. He has a 1970 Mustang Cobra Jet that he restored. The interior and exterior is restored to factory look, but the classic engine and drive train are sitting in his shop. Instead, he's dropped in one of his racing engines mated to a modern overdrive transmission and a medium ratio rear end...low 3's, IIRC. He's getting well over 600 horsepower, but can cruise the interstate at a very respectable 27 mpg....according to him.