View Single Post
Old 01-26-2017, 01:56 PM
Contest, Sport, it's all good......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
FWIW, Enterprise came to Huntsville in late December 77 or early January 78 but I think it was just for a week or two. I've got some photos someplace. The one thing I am positive about is it was colder than a well diggers backside and a stiff breeze!

Last I heard Enterprise was in a museum in New York City.

It flew into Huntsville (Redstone airstrip) in March 1978. As I said, I was actually there. It was at MSFC for over a year, as the vibration testing took months, especially since it had to be stacked and de-stacked three times.

There were three weekend "Open Houses" where Enterprise, an ET, and some SRB components were on display. First open house was late March, I was at that too. Didn't get to the 2nd one, I think maybe I made the third one.

Enterprise was later flown to KSC , in April 1979, where it was stacked there and rolled out to 39A as mentioned earlier.

More info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Enterprise

My old photos from then are long gone. But I do have this scan from my old club newsletter "Impact", a collage by Tony Williams. Most photos are from when it was flown into Redstone, and a couple of pics from the first Open House with Enterprise on its transporter. The photo of Enteprise and 747 in the air, that was during the totally unexpected fly-by over the runway at 1000 feet or less, and we were probably less than 1500 feet from the runway. At first, we saw it far off, banking, and lining up to land. Then came to realize it was not on a descent slope, and the gear was NOT down! Then the realization it was doing a flyby! Impressive! After it passed us, it banked left to do a close pass near the MSFC HQ Building, then circled Huntsville before coming back to land.

Georges'CancerGoFundMe:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-geo...ay-fight-cancer