View Single Post
Old 12-24-2017, 02:02 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
(snip)

Robert Heinlein suggested the very thing that George Lucas did regarding the galaxy and the era--"In science fiction stories, don't give too many details." I can see how the practice of doing the opposite (giving too much detail) can--at least partly--"spoil" such stories. In one of the later "Star Wars" movies (Lucas might not have been involved with it, or at least not as closely as with his earliest films in the franchise), the Force was explained in scientific terms, which many film critics and fans weren't pleased with, because it took away some of the mystery, magic, and wonder of the Force. In addition:

(Snip).

Yeah, that would be the prequels. I remember back in 1977 when we went and saw the original "Star Wars"... I was about 6 or so. I remember my parents, particularly my Dad and Grandpa, having an interesting discussion about the "Force" and how it related to God, religion, and the Bible... I found it interesting that George Lucas had populated his galaxy with so many "familiar faces"... For instance, Chewbacca is basically a "Bigfoot" or sasquatch. Most of the denizens of the famous original "Mos Eisley Cantina" scene were creatures you'd read about in fairy tales or other stories, old fables, legends, UFO stories, etc. There were giant grey aliens, a horned "devil", giant rat creature, a yeti-looking creature, "Amazon" looking women, etc. Sorta like such things might have "inspired" our own stories or legends.

Similarly, the "Force" was also similar to many human legends... basically the "Things you will see-- other places, old friends long gone", mind reading, and the "Force suggestion" is basically ESP when you think about it. Using the Force to move objects is basically telekinesis, etc. I remember the old folk's discussion recognized the references I just made, and then moved into postulating how much of such abilities or talents displayed in our own world are "gifts from God" or the nature of them...

Then of course along came the prequels, and for SOME STUPID REASON they felt the need to "explain" the Force as resulting from "midichlorians", some sort of microscopic life forms that live inside our cells, and who give us knowledge of the Force (presumably, the ability to sense or access the power of the Force). This basically flew in the face of previous explanations given in the films, like how Ben explained the Force to Luke in the original Star Wars-- "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power-- it's an ENERGY FIELD CREATED BY *ALL* LIVING THINGS... it SURROUNDS us, it PENETRATES us, it BINDS THE GALAXY TOGETHER (presumably in a figurative sense, since gravity binds the galaxy together in a literal sense-- "binding the galaxy together" I took to mean that it allows someone sensitive to the Force to sense the feelings or circumstances of others, other times, or other places, through the energy of the Force, and to exert influence on reality using the power of the Force... sorta similar to what we call "quantum entanglement" today...

Reducing it to a bunch of nonsense about "midichlorians" basically reduced it to an "infection" or whatever...

Later! OL J R