View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 11:29 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Bill Simon ("Al_Packer") would be someone who should know about it. He's a member here, but apparently hasn't checked in for almost two years (1-1-11). It is said that Vern lurks here under an assumed name, but doesn't respond here. Carl could probably summon him. I've sent Vern email through the addresses on his web site but he's never answered.

I would assume that this was a test marketing item for Estes, sold through the one place where you could be assured of some demand. It may have indeed pre-dated the release of the flying kit, if only because they didn't have to do that pesky flight testing stuff. So it is possible that they could've had it in the gift shop at the time of the Apollo 11 launch.

Yeah, I would suspect Vern's email probably gets all kind of hits. I do have his business card here somewhere that he sent once with his phone number. But I don't think I'd call right in the holidays. Maybe after.

But if Carl could summons Bill that would certainly be another good place to start as well. And you are right too in that this kit could have preceded the flying version.

I just noticed that an original Estes 'Uprated Saturn 1' has just been posted on eBay. The box this non-flying Saturn V came in appears to be the exact same cardboard box, just different labels obviously. I can even see some wide (about two inch wide stuff) Sealing tape on the Uprated Saturn box photos that is the exact same as that used on the kit box I have.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970