View Single Post
Old 05-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Entropy Demonstrator

Default Expanded Rules - collated and inclusive (part 1)

I know this is a long set of rules, but it includes all six events and some examples at the end, so the rules themselves aren't overly complicated. (And the majority of the text applies only to event 6, the Sample Return Mission.) The most important is to have fun participating. Plenty of opportunities for recognition of the preparations, and the results, of individual efforts involved.

Welcome to the Kelly Engineering Challenge for WOOSH ECOF 2015.
current as of 7 April 2015

There were 6 Kelly’s Challenges from 2009 to 2014. For 2015, ALL previous
challenges will be re-flown.

2009 - Crayons
2010 - Strap-on Boosters
2011 - Legged Landers
2012 - Upscale (Downscale) Anything Can Fly
2013 - Secret Payload
2014 - Sample Return Mission (Re-Launchable Rockets)

These rules apply to every event…
1. All events will run concurrently over the length of the ECOF weekend. Rocketeers
may enter any individual event, or combination of events (including all 6), at their
discretion.
2. Rocket entries must fly at ECOF in 2015, under thrust of allowed propellant (BP,
APCP, or hybrid). Rocketeers unable to attend ECOF may make other
arrangements, i.e. fly under proxy, to participate.
3. Rocketeer must be certified to level of combined motors flown. NAR safety code
applies.
4. This is an “Engineering” challege. Hence, innovations and unique designs are always
encouraged. Family friendly theme mandatory. Remember the judge is a 13 year
old girl.
5. You can make and fly more than one rocket for each event, but only the highest
scoring entry in that event will count for that event. (i.e. you can’t sweep an
individual event.)
6. Only one qualifying flight is allowed per rocket. (While practice flights are allowed,
the qualifying flight must be identified as such in advance.)
7. No “combining” events. While you may make a rocket that includes features from
different events, (i.e. a Crayon Legged-Lander), you must make separate flights in
each event that rocket is entered in, declaring in advance to which event the flight
will apply. This is to keep event scoring manageable. i.e. one judging sheet per
flight.
8. Team entries in individual events are allowed. Team entry scores do not count
toward Grand Master points, however, as it is specifically intended as an individual
award.
9. Scoring will be by the original point system in use at the time of each original event,
modified for weighting of individual event degree of difficulties. i.e. Legged landers
are more involved than Crayons, so will carry a higher possible score.
10. Scoring is specific to each event with one exception. To level the playing field for
new participation, for each rocket that has previously flown and placed (1st, 2nd,
3rd, or Honorable Mention) in any previous Kelly’s Challenge, 3 points will be
deducted from the score for that event, which also carries forward to the cumulative
score used to determine the Grand Master. This penalty applies to specific rockets,
not specific flyers.
11. Awards ceremony will be at 3:00 PM on Sunday. Must be present to claim your
sequenced pull from Prize Box, else you will be bypassed and get a “leftover” prize.

Prizes…
1. All pre-registered participants receive a “Certificate of Participation” AND one pack of
5 minute epoxy, perfect for keeping in your range box for that last minute field
repair. (while supplies last)
3. In addition to eternal bragging rights, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finisher of EACH
event will receive an engraved trophy (18 total), PLUS one selection from the prize
box, which includes an assortment of over $300 in rocketry stuff, to include...
- Aerotech single use “F” and “G” motors
- 29mm, 38mm, and 54mm Aero Pack motor retention sets (body and cap)
- LOC/Precision 25’ x 9/16” tubular nylon shock cords with sewn end loops.
3. As in previous years, expect a few “Honorable Mention” trophies for those rockets
and/or rocketeers that deserve special recognition.
4. Finally, the flyer with the highest cumulative point total (combined from ALL events)
will win the Kelly’s Challenge Grand Master trophy plus a $100 gift certificate to
Wildman Rocketry. 1st & 2nd runner-ups receive Master trophies plus $50 and $25
certificates, respectively. Note - the Grand Master doesn’t necessarily have to win
ANY individual event, or even enter every event, to gain the highest score... i.e.
four 50’s (200) will beat six 30’s (180).

"Gravity is a cruel and unpredictable mistress"