View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 08:30 PM
Craftsman

I used a technique I have been experimenting with to construct the fiberboard parts for the Hummingbird. I glued two sheets of poster board and a printout of all the parts on high quality bond paper together using a spray adhesive. I cut out the parts from this 3 ply stack. I used rubber cement thinner (heptane) to clean up any glue overspray. I think the technique worked out nicely for this model. In my hands, the spray adhesive seems to work better than sticker paper for fastening the artwork to the 2 ply's of poster board.

I also built a Centuri X-24 Bug (see attached picture) but I haven't yet figured out how to get the Rocksim program to provide an acceptable simulation. For the X-24 simulation, I have been trying to simulate the flight as a boosted dart (like I did for the Centuri Hummingbird) so I can account for the motor ejection. That is not the problem; it seems Rocksim distorts the fins when I try to put them on a conical transition. Everything works fine when I simulate the model using a regular body tube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_4131.JPG
Views: 75
Size:  1.34 MB  
Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055