View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
No, I wish I still had the Centuri one, as it was one of the best rockets I ever built. It spent a few years in the attic and the wraps split and cracked. In 1980, I ordered a new set of wraps from their address in Phoenix, and was surprised when the package came from Penrose. I started to do the restoration, but my heart wasn't into it, and I combined the Saturn with a Maxi Alpha to create "the Mighty Favog", which looked like any average high power rocket of the 80's, but it was light, and flew nicely on Pro-Jets. It was lost on its third flight on a Pro Jet F40 in the dense trees of a residential area near the UGA practice fields.

The Estes rocket was eventually finished. Didn't like the way the wraps or the engine fairings turned out. It flew once. Couldn't get the two parachutes out the 1.5" tube at the top. Crunch. Eventually incorporated that rocket into other projects.

Oh, the packaging... I got the Centuri fresh off the first run, so it wasn't in anything fancy. I think they eventually slapped a nice label on it, but mine was blank. The Estes was shipped in the full color printed, calendared white cardboard package, and I think mine still had the old black Estes logo.

I was wondering about that early Centuri packaging and whether or not those first kits out the door went out in the full color boxes that are typically seen in the early versions. Sounds like yours was even pre- THAT version! I've not seen one of those boxes.

Box gone now too, I assume?

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970