View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Congrats to the winners of course but my takeaway was the over 600 teams that participated in TARC. The 105 volunteers who helped run it. The over a dozen industrial sponsors. The top x people are enrolled in NASA Space Launch Initiative (5200 foot altitude rocket not 700 foot).

I would like to see two regional playoffs added and allow winners at each site to get full benefits. In my day we used the local city recreation programs as recruiting and program management partners, and this program uses schools for the same. It appears we have other resources NAR could evolve toward to expand the scope of the program, perhaps with other themes entirely than a contest with performance targets.

TARC is a wonderful thing and Trip Barber and his extensive team is doing a great job leading it.

I would hope by expanding it regionally and in theme, it might hit a chord in a way that translates to more actual NAR members and perhaps more local rocketry participation similar to what we saw in the 70's and 80's. It really was better for model rocketry participation then. Notably space program awareness and excitement is really back too.

For goodness sake, use misfire alley range set-up!

Jerry