View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 09:47 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Dallas, Texas. August, 1990.

Hot, humid (rain!?) and hungry fire ants.

The manufaturer's demo was scheduled for later in the week. It turned out to be an excellent demo as there were many manufacturers demonstrating products (Rocket golf, anyone?)

Mary Roberts was there representing Estes and flying their new kits. Also, the new General Manager of Estes, Bob Buroker, was in attendance.

AeroTech demo flew all their kits as did MRC, North Coast and others.

After AeroTech was done flying, the Mantis pad and Interlock controller remained in the launch area.

As Mary announced each of the new Estes kit and described it's features before launch, I loaded up my Optima on the Mantis pad. It would be powered by a White Lightning F25-6W motor. This was a time when high-power flying had not yet become part of a NARAM and even 'F' and 'G' motors were considered quite impressive.

I had worked it out with the RSO & LSO that after Mary had the Estes Optima launched, I would signal them to launch MY Optima.

As Mary worked through the 'A', 'B' & 'C' motor powered kits, she finally reached the Optima. A countdown was given and the Estes Optima launched...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  NARAM 32 Estes Optima.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  58.8 KB