View Single Post
Old 04-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
I never thought of looking at the hobby shops in Fort Myers when I'm down there for old gems. I'm usually too busy on the beach.

I imagine all the mom & pop shops are gone and/or the ones left have been picked clean by you and Harold.

A real crying shame was when one hobby shop in Cape Coral was Closed by the IRS.
this happened in 1986, this shop had dozens of Centuri and Estes Kits Motors and
Hundreds of parts. I went to this shop one Saturday and there was a sign that said,
Something like: Closed by Order of the U.S. Department of the Treasury.
Tax Auction Delpredo Mall this Saturday. As I remember this Mall was also in Tax trouble.
I went over to the mall and they had all of the items from the hobby shop and who know
what other stores on pallets with lot numbers on them. I looked at every pallet but no
rocketry items. A few Months later the guys who owned the Hobby Shop resurfaced in a
new store, I hoped they still had the rocketry items but no such luck. I asked them
what happened to the rockets. and was told that the IRS took them and that any thing that
the IRS did not sell was sent to the dump. I never saw these items for sale any where
in Florida and I do mean any where.