View Single Post
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Level 5 Certified

It was actually a D44... Ed Brown and Clyde LeStage had made some prototype cored 24mm D motors to see how they would perform before I got to Estes. They worked real nice, but a standard solar igniter would not work in them without lengthening the leads, making it cost-prohibitive to produce in quantity...too much work to produce a new igniter for a limited use motor. They were very impressive to hear in flight, but were down on total impulse.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Estes had been experimenting with the larger BP motors for a few years before marketing the E15s. Some of those motors found their way into the hands of a few serious flyers as a sort of an alpha test. I've heard of or seen E30's, E40', and F motors all based on 24mm casings. Matt Steele showed one at NARCON 91, though he didn't mention what the average thrust was.

None made it anywhere near to market until Estes felt the market pressure from Aerotech.
I think they were going to make a big commitment into big BP motors before they started working with Scott Dixon of Vulcan and Matt Steele of NCR to make the Dark Stars available.

So, it's possible that they were seriously considering releasing an E30 bp motor, or maybe it was just a misprint on the packaging (as none of the catalog listings mentioned it) of the T/S.